DoubleTree by Hilton, Melbourne




When you want to be part of Melbourne's CBD action, DoubleTree by Hilton in Flinders Street certainly places you in the picture.

Opposite Flinders Street Station and flanked by Flinders Lane, there's no shortage of good eating and shopping from which to choose.  It's also very close to Federation Square and Collins Street.

And the good eating starts right from check-in when you are presented with a lusciously warm choc chip cookie.  It doubled as dinner for my 6pm to 9pm arrival flight which only provided a very light snack and breakfast on my departure flight which was too early for the hotel kitchen to be open.



My room fit out has a chic industrial style and monochromatic grey, black and cream decor which is subtle but with an edgy feel.  I want to take the cushion, the soft velour robe and the bathroom products home with me and maybe the bed as well.






Actually, definitely the bed. The promised Sweet Dreams bed does live up to expectations for me with a great night's sleep even with a hectic schedule.

The lobby is one large space which includes reception and the dining area.  It was given a makeover earlier this year with a industrial look that makes it look pretty cutting edge.  Breakfast is a buffet with the option of egg orders direct to your table.  I didn't try it for dinner but I was certainly tempted after an almost exhaustive search of nearby eateries failed to turn up a spare table until the last moment.





What I like

  • The lighting is very good - bright enough so you can see everything in your room with plenty of lamps if you just want it subtle.
  • There's a full length mirror, which is also a second mirror outside the bathroom with a power point close by so you can blow dry your hair even when the bathroom is occupied.
  • The bathroom has plenty of bench space for my bathroom necessities.
  • The breakfast bar has a make-you-own juice option.
  • My room had it's own pod coffee machine. 




     
    What I don't like -

    • The bathroom nearly close to perfect with plenty of bench space, all that's needed is a makeup mirror.
    • Internet is an extra.
    • There is no view from my window which looks straight into another building.
    • The foyer is very cold when the wind comes from the wrong direction.  You might need a jacket and scarf for breakfast. 

    A big thank you to Assistant Manager, Sam, who went beyond the call of duty to assist me when I thought I had mucked up my airline booking.



    My room:  1108 King Room
    Best tip: Order coffee from the bar for breakfast and you'll enjoy a real cappuccino instead of a machine-made interpretation.
    Bottom line: Rooms start at around $259.

    Disclaimer:  Ed+bK stayed as a guest of DoubleTree by Hilton, Melbourne for the Australian Tourism Exchange.

    Click to add a blog post for The Lobby Lounge Bar- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Melbourne on Zomato