Pier One Sydney Harbour, Sydney




Ever wondered what it would be like to live on Sydney Harbour? To wake up to the sound of water lapping on the shore and an expanse of glistening blue dancing in the window?

Take a night at Pier One Sydney Harbour and you'll find out. You'll also discover what it's like to sleep in a 100 year old working wharf and passenger terminal converted into a hotel. It's quite a different experience, from the rough hewn timbers and exposed bracing to the things that go bump in the night.

Once I worked out that the strange noises in the bathroom were from the pipes, all was good, but that long haired grey cat that brushed past my face and curled up next to me? Was that a vivid dream after a few champagnes or a friendly ghostly visitor?





There's a lot to like about this hotel. It's close enough to the action of The Rocks and Sydney's CBD to walk if you are fit, hop on a bike or take a short taxi ride. Yet it is far enough away from the street action to feel like a holiday destination.

The bed was very comfortable and nicely appointed with more pillows than I knew what to do with. I had a separate sitting area and a decadent day lounge for gazing upon my harbour view. Life was not tough. I only wish I had more time to enjoy a few drinks on the deck.

As General Manager Kim Mahaffy likes to say, Pier One is 'a little bit posh'. It's also part of the Autograph Collection Hotels.








I stayed in room 2015, a Walsh Bay Suite, if you want to meet the cat but make sure you drink plenty of champagne first.




Best tip: Great location for a Sydney visit or staycation.

Bottom line: The lowest rate I could find is $229 (September 2014)

Recommended for: Couples or business visitors wanting a touch of the real Sydney.

Kerry Heaney

Disclaimer: Ed+bK was a guest of Pier One Sydney Harbour