Sleeping around - Shangri-La, Sydney

I got very excited when I booked into the Shangri-La Hotel in Sydney's Rocks district.

It wasn't the fabulous harbour views, the close proximity to everything I wanted to to do or even drinking a Lady Peculiar cocktail at sunset overlooking the harbour.

No it was free wireless Internet! To me this means no problems with blogging and tweeting to my heart's content.


I was given a tour through the hotel's newly refurbished rooms and can report that in my next life I'll definitely stay in a Premier Grand Harbour View Room please.  There's something about a sipping champagne in a spa bath overlooking Sydney Harbour bridge that seems so right.

This time I had to settle for watching the sun set with a cocktail in Blu on 36.  I know, life is tough.

It was obvious that I wasn't the only person who thought it would be a great place for a sunset drink so my best tip here is to arrive when the bar opens at 5pm for a premium spot. The one-hat Altitude Restaurant is also on level 36 and offers a modern Australian menu with European influences. The chef recommends the Seared Scallops.

The view from level 36 in the day.

What did I like about this hotel?  The padded window seat where you can sit and gaze at the view up close and personal certainly had charm and the subtle oriental feel of the hotel added a nice point of difference.

My lovely room


I liked some of the smaller things too, including the shower rose which pelted out a great spray of water for a decent shower and the little hair ties they included in the vanity packs.

My eco conscience was saved by the hotel's new sensor lighting and air conditioning that reduces to standard settings automatically when you leave the room.

And in keeping with their advanced Internet policy, all the rooms include an iHome dock and bluetooth media hub.




I checked out the hotel's Chi spa as well and would suggest this is definitely worth investigating with a facial or body treatment.

Bottom line: Decor and convenient location are big pluses here but the free Internet is the ultimate winner for me.

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Disclaimer: Kerry Heaney stayed as a guest of Shangri-La Hotels.